F1 hopeful Mick Schumacher destined to spend 2020 in Formula 2

Mick Schumacher is the in the Ferrari driver pipeline.

Mick Schumacher admits it would have been nice if he had been able to step up to Formula 1 for 2020.

However, as he looks set to finish just 12th in the Formula 2 driver standings this year, the son of seven-time F1 champion Michael Schumacher is going to fall well short of Super License points needed to qualify for a Formula 1 ride. Instead, Mick is destined for a second season of Formula 2.

“I’m glad that I can continue in the same team,” Mick Schumacher said. “Of course, the step into Formula 1 would have been nice. But I see it as an advantage to gain another year of experience, especially as we will already use the low-profile tires in 2020, a year before Formula 1.”

Ahead of F1’s move to 18-inch wheels in 2021, Pirelli will supply the low profile tires to Formula 2 teams a year early in 2020.

“More experience can only be positive for me,” Schumacher, 20, said. “The new tires are a big change, and I can imagine that you have to drive differently with them.”

Schumacher hopes to move up the grid in Formula 2 next season.

“Yes, my goal is to keep up with the best,” he said. “I think it will be easier for me next year, because I know the car, the tracks and what happens on a race weekend.”

Mick Schumacher has a Super License issue that will keep him in Formula 2 for at least one more season.

Source: Read Full Article