Racing Force Formula 1 team retains current lineup for 2020

Sergio Perez and Lance Stroll will continue on with Racing Force into the foreseeable future.

The Racing Point Formula 1 team has confirmed that current drivers Sergio Perez and Lance Stroll will remain with the team next season, with Perez signing a new three-year deal, sealing his services until at least 2022.

Racing Point has endured a difficult campaign in 2019.

Nearly going out of business entirely this time last year, Lawrence Stroll — the father of driver Lance — led a consortium of investors to save the team from the brink. Sitting eighth in the constructors’ standings, the team has brought plenty of upgrades to the Belgium Grand Prix and is showing strong pace.

Perez finished Friday in fifth, and with more upgrades to come and a stable future, Racing Point aims to take back their “best of the rest” status from McLaren.

“We know Sergio very well, and it’s great to confirm him on a long-term deal,” said Otmar Szafnauer, CEO and team principal. “Over the last six years, we have seen him become a very complete driver with excellent qualifying speed and exceptional racecraft. Sergio believes in the long-term vision of this project and getting his commitment until the end of 2022 gives us valuable consistency going forward.

“As the team continues to grow and develop, it’s important to have a driver with Sergio’s level of experience, especially with new regulations on the horizon. The whole team is thrilled to continue working with Sergio, and I believe we can enjoy great success together in the coming years.”

This is home for Perez, and he is looking forward to building a winning foundation.

“I’ve been working together with this group of people for a long time now, and they have become my second family,” Perez said. “Together we have enjoyed a tremendous amount of success, and we share the same passion for racing.

“I have been impressed with the direction the team has taken over the last 12 months, and that gives me confidence for the future. I believe the best times are still to come, and I look forward to celebrating plenty of podiums in the years ahead.”

Source: Read Full Article